5 Reasons to Retire in the City
A significant number of condo buyers are baby boomers and Gen Xers. Condominiums are becoming the top choice for a retirement home for baby boomers. While many are still planning to retire in the quiet and peace of the country life, more and more retirees are looking to major cities like Toronto, Markham and Etobicoke for their retirement. Here are five top reasons to retire in the city;
- Best Health Care – Healthcare is a top concern of the elderly. At their advanced aged, they need the best medical care and attention. It is also important for them to be near medical facilities and practitioners at all times. It is in the major cities that medical centres, hospitals and specialists convene. Living in the outskirts or the country could mean at least an hour of commuting before getting to a fully-equipped hospital. Sometimes, we don’t have an hour to spare.
- Mobility and Transport – Living in the city means accessibility to almost anything and anywhere. Unlike in suburban and country communities where the only mode of transportation is what you can provide on your own – car, bicycle or by walking, the city offers several modes of transportation – taxi cabs, bus and rail systems. So, what is not accessible by walking can be easily reached without having the need to drive a car.
- Secure Housing Options – The seniors can sometimes be the most vulnerable to home break-ins, robberies and other felonies. Their homes need to be safe and secured. Fortifying a country house or one in the suburbs can be expensive and extensive. The more affordable and sensible option is buying and living in a condo in the city. Condominiums come with advanced security systems that include security cameras, personnel, concierge, secured door locks and alarm systems designed to keep its residents safe and secure.
- Easy Access to Support Services – Where we often imagine country life with images of idyllic afternoons spent fishing, picking fruits or sharing stories around campfires, country life means hard work and self-sufficiency. You will be doing most of the work – growing and cooking your own food, tending animals or keeping them out, fixing your own fence and trimming your trees. These can be too much for the elderlies. Assistance and support services are available in the city. Support services can take care of heavy and other odd tasks like cleaning windows, grocery shopping, laundry and cooking.
- Entertainment Hub – Let your retirement years be full of fun and excitement. Unlike in the outskirts where socialisation for the elderly is limited, the city offers an endless array of fun social activities the seniors can enjoy. Parks, theatres, museums, golf clubs, libraries, malls, movie houses, shopping centres, musicals, swimming pools, major sports events, theme parks, concerts, clubs, and restaurants! Most, if not all of which are just within a few minutes’ walk from their condo.